Cobh (pronounced cove known as the cove of Cork) was named in the mid 18th century, and then re-named Queenstown in 1849 after being visited by queen Victoria.

The original name Cobh was then restored with the foundation of the free state in 1922. Cobh is located at Great Island in Cork harbour, the two other islands are Fota and Little Island. Cork harbour is one of the largest harbours in Ireland and was used for great transatlantic liners.

Youghal (pronounced yawl) translates from irish for 'yew wood' is located at the mouth of the River Blackwater(best known for it's salmon fishing) in South east Cork. Yew wood was used in the ironworks back in the seventeenth century.

Youghal has been a very popular holiday destination for hundreds of years. It has large blue flag beaches nearby and lots of entertainment for families.

Youghal is a seaport town and has a lot of historical monuments and buildings within it's walls, and was once occupied by the Normans. It is now recognised as a heritage port by the tourist board of Ireland.

There is an old clock tower in the main street and nearby a Parish church called St Mary's, which has been restored recently.

In market square there is a pub called Moby Dick's, which is named after the film Moby Dick which was filmed there in 1954. Director John Huston chose Youghal for the location of the film which starred Gregory Peck and Richard Baseheart amongst others.

During the months of making the film, Youghal was a town of excitement and brought many visitors from all over Ireland and the United Kingdom. It was after this time that Paddy Linehan re- named his pub as a tribute to John Huston and Moby Dick.




This free Dreamweaver template created by