Cobh (pronounced cove known as the cove of Cork) was named in the mid 18th century, and then re-named Queenstown in 1849 after being visited by queen Victoria.

The original name Cobh was then restored with the foundation of the free state in 1922. Cobh is located at Great Island in Cork harbour, the two other islands are Fota and Little Island. Cork harbour is one of the largest harbours in Ireland and was used for great transatlantic liners.

Cobh (pictured right) was the embarkation point for thousands of irish men and woman who wanted to travel to America. Many were desparate to start a new life, epecially during the famine in 1845 to 1850.

Many died on the journey, due to the travelling conditions. The Queenstown story is a visitor attraction and is located in the unused sections of the railway station at Cobh. It tells the story of emigration from Cobh from the famine years up to the 1950's times of the transatlantic liners.

Cobh is also famous for being the last port of call for the Titanic, on her fateful maiden voyage. A hundred and twenty three passengers embarked at Cobh, most of which were in steerage(third class).

There is a memorial on the quayside to the victims of the Lusitania. A lot of the victims were buried in the church cemetery in Cobh. The Lusitania was sunk off the old head of Kinsale by a German submarine in 1915, which was responsible for bringing the USA into the war.



This free Dreamweaver template created by