picture of Bantry Bay



Bantry is located in West Cork is famous for it's spectacular scenery. As the road approaches the harbour, it provides a scenic view of the harbour.

Bantry is known as a fishing port and a market town and has many narrow streets. The town of Bantry has a lot of historic backround. In the late 17th century a french fleet arrived in Bantry bay to arm James the second with his war against William of Orange.

Again In 1796 a french fleet were destined for Bantry bay to assist Wolfe Tone in an Irish uprising, but a bad storm wrecked about two thirds of the fleet in the bay. The rest were not able to debark. Wolfe Tone was later captured by the English.

Arguably the most famous stately home is Bantry house, which has been opened to the public since the late 1940's. Bantry house was completed in the 17th century and was the home of the Earls of Bantry.

Later several extensions were added to the building, mainly in the eighteenth century. Bantry has approximately a hundred acres of land, which mostly consists of landscaped gardens. Sections of the house are hired out for special functions such as weddings.






This free Dreamweaver template created by JustDreamweaver.com